Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Group Ride 12th October - TYRE v Sat Nav v common sense
BladeVFR
Pro
Post Group Ride 12th October - TYRE v Sat Nav v common sense
on: October 12, 2014, 18:58

After experiencing some ... mis-direction ... from my/our Sat Nav today I will be reviewing the route we actually rode. Thanks to Gary using common sense and ignoring the Sat Nav trying to send us back where we'd just been, we were able to navigate through to Sizewell for a well deserved (as always 😉 ) and delicious full english breakfast 🙂 .

My guess is that we must have somehow, inadvertently missed or bypassed one of the waypoints I had set using TYRE. I hope to be able to identify which one and amend the route to, hopefully, not do the same thing next time this route comes round.

Just a couple of other anomalies ....

the Sat Nav tried to send us the 'direct' route through Saxmundham. I ignored it and just went the way I am used to. TBH, the direct route is the one I usually use coming home and next time I will be inclined to follow the Sat Nav when going towards Leiston so I will not be amending this part of the route. Note to self ... try to be less set in my ways!

A similarly 'direct' route was Sat Nav'd in Leiston. Again, I ignored it and went the usual way i.e. left at the lights and then right onto Lover's Lane as clearly sign-posted for Sizewell. In this case I feel the direct route is (again) OK for coming back, but going to Sizewell the more straight forward way is clearer so I will be adding a waypoint to ensure the Sat Nav takes us the sign-posted way.

I did not ride the published route for the return jouney as I wanted to enjoy the 11's (B1119, B1116, B1118) so if anyone experienced any other discrepancies then please let me know and I will make the necessary corrections.

BladeVFR
Pro
Post Re: Group Ride 12th October - TYRE v Sat Nav v common sense
on: October 13, 2014, 13:59

After reviewing the actual route we took using Trackback it is clear that Gary took exactly the correct route so I have no idea why the Sat Nav wanted us to do a loop. Perhaps the way-point didn't register as we went past it?
Anyway, on the basis that I can't fix what appears not to be broken, the best I can do is just move the way-points along the road a little bit and hope that the Sat Nav does not do the same thing again.

Shooter560
Post Re: Group Ride 12th October - TYRE v Sat Nav v common sense
on: October 13, 2014, 15:34

So glad to hear I didn't go the wrong way 🙂

On the wanting to do a loop, I think it maybe that it picks the nearest way point to head too, so if the way point in the section we'd just done was closer than the next after the right turn you said I needed, that might explain it wanting to loop. It could now be a issue with newer sat navs as well, as they get more complicated and can do so much more it might be a case of almost needing to lead it step by step.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.167 seconds.