Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sunday Ride To Yaxham 8/Feb
versys1000
Post Sunday Ride To Yaxham 8/Feb
on: February 8, 2015, 17:17

Just got in after cleaning versys from this mornings ride. 😡 Arriving at around 9.15 am to my surprise 10 bikes already parked up. 😛 After the initial obligatory chat Peter Rix and his band of brothers set off in a group of 5 , followed a little while after by Dick Turpin, Matt Jackson and myself in our group of 3, leaving Gary and Charlie only pillion of the day, Big al and Peter on his Ducati adventure bike.I took the first stint to Watton with Dick no:2 with Matt having a morning off at the sharp end :o. On departing Tesco,s towards A47 Roundabout a late Gary Walton was heading towards Tesco,s. 🙁
The roads were up to their normal state this time of year once the dreaded salt is slung everywere. On arrival in Watton we stopped outside Lings for a break and little look at the new machines. 😎 Matt took the next leg towards Swaffham. As we were about to leave Gary Walton turned up and tagged along with us. Roads now started to get quite tricky and single file,we negotiated these with safe and confident riding. Matt stopped in Swaffham as he wanted to look in book shop for a new best seller 😛 Gary decided to take the last leg and was off!!! As only Gary can, perfect lines and progress, at one point was concerned of getting a puncture as hedge trimmers or should I say crucifiers had left a right mess on one of the roads. Arriving at Yaxham, slight wait for Breaky 🙁 as cooked to order and their was a big bunch off bikers all turning up at nearly the same time.Group of 4 wayfarers already their who had made their own way. Another great ride with some interesting roads.Chris D ( observer)

PeteF
Post Re: Sunday Ride To Yaxham 8/Feb
on: February 8, 2015, 18:28

Similar story from our group (Big Al, Gary & Charlie and myself). Although we were the last to leave, Big Al kept up a good pace on the first long keg to Watton and beyond - which is why Gary W caught those stopped at Lings first. As above, the latter stages were tricky in places with mud, gravel and hedge cuttings on single track roads - but we all survived to enjoy the coffee at Yaxham. Although the food was slow- we learned a lot about chocolate making!
PS Although my bike is red and Italian it is in fact an Aprilia.

BladeVFR
Pro
on: February 9, 2015, 08:46

There just happened to be four people who responded to my "anyone ready to leave?". Although the usual group limit is four it would have seemed unnecessarily authoritarian to ask one person to ride in another group, especially as there were plenty of people left to make up other groups.
Just to get things moving I led first and we did a rolling change-over at Kimberley, with Eric taking over to just before the A1065. After a chat about Sat Navs (a theme for the day!) Alex then led and after a slight (VERY muddy)detour around Oxborough, John took over heading up to the A47. After John missed the turn in Fakenham to give us all the opportunity to practice our U-turns ( 😉 ), I took over until we were well on the way to Shipdham where John resumed the lead and got us safely to Yaxham Waters for a well deserved and enjoyable BIG breakfast - one of the best and value for money of all the stops we do (IMHO).
The discussion around using Sat Navs and TYRE continued. I was able to show both Dave and John some of the work-arounds that seem necessary when loading routes from TYRE onto a Garmin. My view is that, for the group rides especially, we are using Sat Navs in a way that they are not best used for. Making them go on exactly the route we want them to go is not what they are designed to do. Some of the newer ones do offer a scenic option but that is still expecting you to follow where the Sat Nav wants to take you. For our group rides it is still important to look at the route (map, Google map) to get a clear understanding of the route and use the Sat Nav as a navigational aid. Providing the routes in TYRE format for people to download is just to offer an additional way to follow the route but should be used as an aid, not as the definitive and exclusive way to follow the route.

versys1000
on: February 9, 2015, 15:48

Hi all just a quick pointer, I am unable to put tyre on my Mac, so I am using Garmins Basecamp. I have an old Zumo 400 without the bluetooth connectivity. In this program you can click on a tool which strings all the roads together as you plot from the route listings. Now comes the important bit!!! You must make sure Sat Nav is set for the quickest route, not shortest or off road, otherwise it trys to find most direct route other than your intended pre plotted route.I have learn,t this through some interesting experiences. Hope this is useful to anyone. I not saying it is fool proof but on the last twoo ride-outs I have been on it was bang on the money. Chris D (observer)

BladeVFR
Pro
on: February 10, 2015, 16:31

Hi Chris. Are you able to produce files from Basecamp that can be shared with other people who use Basecamp? I would be interested in trying this out to compare against TYRE. I'm all for using something different if it is easier/better. 🙂

versys1000
on: February 10, 2015, 18:08

www8.garmin.com › Maps . This web site should be the one for microsoft. I had a look at the Mac version and it will update for free.Once downloaded you have several tutoriols to visit to get you up to speed with the various tools. Hopefully this is of use.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.159 seconds.