Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: your opinion counts
gaz
Post your opinion counts
on: January 15, 2014, 23:20

Just had an email from a member suggesting a good cafe/ finishing point.
The concern was the suggested route.
Tesco to B 1332
B1332 to A 143
A143 to Stradishall/Coffeee

Quote "The B1332 to Bungay then A143 offers a nice open road ride, without lots of junctions for a change.
There are many options...................though."
Personally that doesnt appeal, but if members want that sort of thing then i guess as route organiser i should try to appease. This member has in the past said the reason he doesnt come on to many group rides is because the routes are rather convoluted. My argument is that the more you attend the less convoluted they become, as if by second nature.

Having said that i am currently contacting more than 24 different cafes in the norfolk/suffolk area on the suitablity of us finishing our rides at their premises, so things may change a little.

I'd be really, really, really interested in your thoughts.

BladeVFR
Pro
Post Re: your opinion counts
on: January 16, 2014, 09:42

Although some of the routes may appear at first glance to be complicated they are in general reasonably straightforward and a quick look at a map before turning up on Sunday morning would give a 'feeling' for where the route goes.

However if there is a desire amongst members for a different style of route then one solution may be to provide an alternative route for the non-observed Sundays, which finishes at the same place as the primary route.

I feel the Observed Sundays should remain the same as they are primarily for all riders - Observers, full members and Associates - to have the opportunity to improve and maintain their standard of riding on challenging roads, with positive and constructive mutual feedback.

Gary, maybe we could provide alternative routes for a few rides and see if that appeals to members. I'll be happy to rework some of the up-coming non-observed rides. As the routes are published on this website perhaps some members would like to submit some reworked routes themselves for the non-observed Sundays.

Please check the new places do Full English! 😉

BladeVFR
Pro
on: January 16, 2014, 10:49

So for instance this Sunday could look like .....

Route W1v2 approx. 50 miles January 26th
L from Tesco’s to A47 rbt
1st exit A47 to A146 exit
Exit A47 then R to B1332
R B1332 to A143 RBT
3rd exit A143 to A1066 RBT
3rd exit s/p Diss to A1066
L A1066 to Thetford RBT
3rd exit s/p (A11) to RBT
3rd exit s/p A1075 to thru 1 RBT
R into Tesco’s for coffee (tel: 0845 677 9681)

It loses about 5 miles but is more straightforward than the primary route.

P.S. Gary, the phone number above is from Google as the published ones seems to be a digit short?

BladeVFR
Pro
on: January 18, 2014, 18:17

Oops!! That should have said Sunday week i.e. Sunday 26th - like it says - DOH! 😉

Miket
on: January 20, 2014, 23:49

Personally speaking, I see little point in changing the printed routes - these have been, for the most part, used by the group for many years and are well tried and tested.

I will however, conceed that, less experienced riders, may not be comfortable riding on some of the minor/unclassified roads that are included in our routes - I know, I was one once. The answer to which is, select ride routes that are acceptable or known to you to begin with, progressing, via 'one to one' rideouts with your observer and selected Sunday rides, to the more complex routes.
Rideouts for the first Sunday of the month should always be the easier and less complex routes, thanks to Garys excellent planning.

To give members an insight into my personal approach to a forthcoming Sunday rideout :-

Two to three days before, I view the route from NAM website or Group magazine,
Using Google maps, visualise and memorise the roads and junctions used, including any possible 'detours' to incorporate any 'more interesting sections'.
Turn up at Tesco's at 9.15am on the Sunday, fully fuelled up and watered.
When sorted with a 'riding group of four', discuss the proposed route and any 'detours' that may improve the ride. All riding group members should be 'happy and in agreement' with the published route and any changes to that route.
When leading a group, I always take into consideration other group members abilities and experience, but rarely ride with associates or less experienced riders.
Have a great ride and arrive at 'coffee stop' or should that be 'full english breakfast stop' for a chat, a coffee etc. and a debrief.
Go home happy - yes?

Remember, published routes are for guidance only, not a rigid requirement.

Comments please.

MikeT

nevilleb
on: January 21, 2014, 22:15

Mike your comment,

"Remember, published routes are for guidance only, not a rigid requirement."

sums things up very well

Neville

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.037 seconds.
%d bloggers like this: