Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hello!
dave
Post Hello!
on: April 10, 2015, 11:29

Hello N-A-M,

Just to say hi, I'm Dave and I've just joined your auspicious group through the IAM Skills for Life scheme. So I thought I'd drop by and say hello.

I passed my A test end of May 2014 so haven't been riding that long but a combination of doing a few courses and specifically meeting some IAM members at i2i courses this week convinced me to give this a go.

One question I currently have (I'm sure I'll have many more) is about the kit required for sessions. The site mentions appropriate equipment including footwear.

I have a Shoei Neotec helmet and also a (slightly tattered but still with armor in place) Gear jacket, which I'm sure are fine. Normally I tend to wear jeans to ride but I also have a set of textile-armored over-trousers I do wear for motorway journeys or long/more risky rides. For footwear I have some very solid leather CAT boots, but no specific motorbiking footwear.

So simply; is it a requirement to wear the trousers or are jeans ok? And what about the footwear, they're very sturdy boots (as word for my DAS course and A test without comment or issue)?

Thanks in advance for any help and look forward to meeting some of you,

Dave.

mattjack
Post Re: Hello!
on: April 10, 2015, 19:02

Hi Dave, The answer might be in the question...are the jeans "appropriate"?...if they are sturdy and the knees aren't ripped and the backside isn't hanging out and it ain't raining and you're not going far then yes. Motorcycle jeans, with kevlar reinforcement would be better and textile trousers with armour better still if the weather is dodgy. If the footwear is sturdy and supports and protects the ankle then fine....be careful with those laces and big loops dangling.......Matt

dave
on: April 10, 2015, 20:01

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately one person's appropriate is not always another's; there are people (not me!) who obviously think it's appropriate to ride in a T-Shirt and shorts.

What I really wanted to know is if there's an accepted club standard of "appropriate" for group rides/observed rides. I didn't want to turn up in jeans if that wasn't deemed appropriate.

Thanks,

Dave.

mattjack
on: April 11, 2015, 19:43

.....personally I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing ordinary jeans on a group ride but, as you rightly point out, you would not be prevented from taking the DVSA motorcycle test wearing sensible jeans and boots. If you turned up on a group ride similarly attired I would not presume to criticise.....Matt

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.016 seconds.
%d bloggers like this: