Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Observer weekend finale
versys1000
Post Observer weekend finale
on: May 6, 2015, 10:53

Having to work late I was to meet up with the group in the evening.The group consisting of
Matt Jackson New MT-07
Peter Rix Honda CBR 600RR
Hamish Rose Suzuki GSX 1400 ( Not Quite so new)
Kevin Moore CBF 1000
Neil Frame BMW GS ( Examiner )
Alasdair Wilcock BMW GS
Nick Irving BMW GS
Myself Versys 1000

I finally got up to the Chequers Hotel around 5.45pm after a pretty tedious A47, A17 , A1 route as I was not sightseeing on the way up. 🙁 Quick wash and brush up and into the resturant. As always an excellent Carvery then into bar to discuss following days excursion. Peter Rix had put together 3 routes and we decided on the Forest of Bowland as it was going west, and according to the weather we were more likley to see the sun!!!! On waking up it was Hammering down, had breakfast and got into 2 groups of 4. Object of the day was Overtaking and safe distance gaps. After Peter and Matt had run through new associate briefing with Alasdair who is about to take on the mantle of observer, we set off. 😛
Peter, Nick, alasdair and myself set off.
Unexpected surprise as soon as turning onto road. HGV vehicle greating a bow wave from the flooded puddles covering our visors and gear. I was leading to start Rain lashing down thinking to myself what the hell am I doing!! Then we come into Hetton, The road was awash, being waved through by a mini who looked a little bemused and not sure how deep the flood was. Peter was leading at this point taking the middle of the road full revs. Soon we come upon a farm shop for coffee and debrief on ths ride so far. 😉
Setting off we were to hopefully meet up with the other group for lunch at Arnside some 70miles along the route. This was to take slightly longer what with Sat nav detours and Yorkshire Mist !! Finally arriving at around 2.00pm. Quick call to see were Matt was and low and behold they had only arrived app: 20mins before us RESULT! 😛 After a cream tea we were off heading back via Tan Hiil pub Highest pub in england. Roads now drying out we could start to enjoy ourselfs. After Matt lead the new group it was a rolling change and I took the lead. With Yorkshire it has a lot of 4 legged animals called Sheep, and take it from me they are stupid!!!! heading along a straight dry walled road 4x4 heading towards us what looked at first like a boulder on the side off the road decided to jump out 100-150 yds in front off my motorcycle ABS works belive me!!! 😮
Had another obscure event on steep hill entering into Kirby Stephen my left hand decided to take on a mind off its own. Marc Marquis syndrome ! My fingers clasped up preventing me from changing gear so had to stop on brakes stalling engine. After Matt pushed bike into lay by hand started to come back to life. really weird, since found out it was just repetative strain injury.
We eventually arrived back at Hotel around 5.30 for shower then back into resteraunt. On discussion of days events everyone decided they had a great day and learned a lot. Monday was a nice ride back stopping at the Humber Bridge for ice cream and the Bubble car Museum for coffee. Hamish was seeing a friend in Sheffield so went his own way home.Peter also peeled of after Horncastle before the museum.
As this was to be my last Observer weekend away, due to work commitments, I am giving up from November. I would like to say a big thankyou to all the group of the weekend Matt for taking the time and effort to organize such events and Peter for putting such a great route together. I have been an Observer now for 12 years and thoughly enjoyed every minute training new associates up to test standard and hopefully getting a pass. In my time with the club after taking my test way back in 2002 with my then obsrever Phill Sherrifff who after a break is now back with us, have helped put through some 29 associates on a one to one basis and helped in group testing when we used to have a lot off associates at one time. Thanks to all the observer,s I have had a great time, the commitee for allowing me the privilege to take on the position of observer. Rob who is an excellent chairman and all the riders I have come to meet over my time as an observer. 😛
Chris Dade ( soon to be X observer)

Framey
Advanced
Post Re: Observer weekend finale
on: May 6, 2015, 18:33

A fantastic weekend, not dampened, by the weather. It was a pleasure, to meet you all, chat, and see, such a high standard of riding, from everyone.
Just about got all the muck off the bike today !

Neil

gazza
Advanced
Post Re: Observer weekend finale
on: June 25, 2015, 00:14

I write this with a heavy heart to see Chris giving up observing. I attended the associates course way back when and Chris was one of my Observers. He has been a stalwart of the club and an excellent rider to boot. Hopefully I have achieved the high standard he expected of me, and I will try to keep improving to meet his riding prowess.
Maybe one day we will ride again together over Caistor Tops, and I will be able to demonstrate the considerable improvement in my riding ability, due in part to his excellent tuition and patience, his straight forward approach to advanced riding, and the ability to have fun while still learning. Thanks Chris for all the time, effort and patience you have put in over the years, you will be sadly missed.
OK OK i know its a lot of flannel but he's still a top bloke, and not that bad a rider either especially two up.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.053 seconds.
%d bloggers like this: